Total Pageviews

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Shut Your Gobbo


I'm pleased to say I've made a good dent in the first 32 Gobbos for BOYL.These 32 get split into 2 units of 16, the "Bone Mob" and the "Iron Mob". I still need to sort out their shields and this should be done before BOYL2016.

Here's the first 10 who will be members of the "Bone Mob":


They're not Golden Gobbo standard but I'm pretty pleased with them. As usual I'd class them as an acceptable gaming standard and if that's the case I'll defo take that!

Oddly you can see their eyes better in a group shot. I guess that means I've achieved my goal of creating the overall impact not an individual brilliance.


These guys will eventually be a unit from Grom's own tribe - the Broken Axe.The yellow and red colour scheme was inspired by the 4th Edition box cover and I think these are the colours I'm going to make the colours of the Broken Axe.






The next lot are Iron Claw who will be the "Iron Mob" for the purposes of the scenario.



I have to confess, to begin with I wasn't that taken with these minis but after painting them I've completely fallen in love with them. The quirky oddness of the Bob Olley sculpts holds so much character and individuality that they've probably become my favourite Goblin sculpts. They remind me very much of the sort of Goblin look of Jim Henson's Labyrinth. There are a lot more photo's of these ones because they're so close to my heart now.





















For these guys I've chosen an orange and blue colour palette for the clothing. This was most inspired by the Goblins wearing the hoods that made me think of the Goblins in the 80's Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. No, not the pig faced Orcs but the hooded Goblins that appeared once in a blue moon. They had random colours schemes so I hope I've paid my homage to them sufficiently.
 



One of the Goblins of the is a standard bearer (in need of a banner) who won't be used in the scenario but I'm hoping to get 8 more painted up than I need that will include command groups and allow me to field 2 units of 20.

Anyhow, that's the the first batch down. Time to crack on with the rest................................


Thanks for reading my musings, if you've gotten this far please take the time to leave a comment.







12 comments:

  1. Speedy work, Snickit, and pleasing to the eye. I'm rapidly becoming a Bob Olley fan after painting up one of his trolls for bloodbowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rab, kind words indeed. I think Olley is a hidden gem of the mini world that isn't always obvious at first.

      Delete
  2. Nice start to the goblin mob! That's what, 80pts? Millions more to paint! ;-)

    The muted colours work well with your "realistic" green skin. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you sir! Somewhere between 80 and 100 points depending on the system.

      For the Greenskins I need for this scenario I need another 13 spear armed Gobbos, and 32 bow armed ones (started), Grom on his Chariot (almost done), an Orc Shamen on a Wyvern (started) and an Orc Rock Lobber.

      Oh then I need 40 Elves, a Griffon rider (started) and a Bolt Thrower (already done).

      Two months and counting............................

      Delete
  3. The 40 elves might make it a close call!

    Have you thought about re-creating the scenario in the High Elves supplement? (can't remember the name right now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story of Eltharin Vs Grom? Most definitely for mat of my gaming life.

      This scenario is kind of a precursor for me doing it, all I need do is find an opponent (and decide which side I want to be on).

      Delete
  4. Awesome. IIRC it's a tough proposition for the goblins. but you do have loads of fanatics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fanatics on the Battle for Maugthrond Pass. They do have the Orc and Goblin super weapon though - Gobbo Bows! Remember, "Everything Counts in Large Amounts!"

      Delete
  5. Looking good, they will also do for the Saturday game. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Brother O'mine.

      They certainly will, that's why planning on adding command groups but the Stikkas may need to be smooshed into the one group as I won't make the 20 per unit otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Great painting, always good to see Goblins. Nice to see the selection of Iron Claw spearmen together as well.
    Good luck with the painting, you can never have enough Goblins! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy. Many more on the way, almost completed a huge chunk of the 32 Stikkas that I need so they'll be next to be posted up.

      Delete